Skip to content ↓

What if I need a leave of absence?

On occasion, an undergraduate leaves MIT for a break, a change of direction or emphasis, or even to take advantage of educational, research, travel, or volunteer opportunities. Deciding whether to take a leave or stay—perhaps with a change in academic program—is a difficult decision. In addition to your parents and peers, there are people at MIT willing to discuss the issue with you.

Please contact Student Support Services for more information on leaves and for help.

Once we receive notification that you are no longer a student, we make the necessary adjustments to your student account and financial aid.

Did you find this article helpful?

If you leave or withdraw FAQs

See all If you leave or withdraw questions