Skip to content ↓
Update August 17:

To learn more about MIT’s changes to the fall 2020 cost of attendance as well as the Covid-era grant, please see our 2020 financial support page and our expanded FAQ page. You can also read more about the evolving policies and other key questions related to MIT’s COVID-19 response.

I am a graduate student, can I take a leave of absence or withdraw?

You are expected to complete your degree program without interruption. The Office of Graduate Education has general information on withdrawals and information on medical withdrawals.


If you’re granted a medical withdrawal or required to withdraw for a medical reason, you’re no longer registered for classes and no longer eligible to receive funding from or through MIT. This includes research or teaching assistantships. Under most circumstances, external fellowship funding is also suspended. You must contact your fellowship administrator for the applicable policy, since some fellowships pay stipends directly to students.


Once we receive notification from the Office of Graduate Education that you were granted a medical withdrawal, we will make the necessary adjustments to your student account and financial aid. If you have an outstanding student loan, you need to have an exit interview before leaving or withdrawing. The exit interview will recap your rights and responsibilities, including when repayments begin. Please contact your loan counselor to set up an exit interview.

Did you find this article helpful?