Skip to content ↓

My FAFSA reflects that I have provisional independent status, what does that mean?

If you indicate that you have an unusual circumstance when you fill out your FAFSA, but do not have all the required documentation, you will be granted provisional independent status. You will be able to complete the FAFSA as an independent student and will receive an estimated Student Aid Index and Federal Pell Grant. However, this does not guarantee that you will be granted independent status. Your financial aid counselor will reach out to you directly to make sure you complete the required documentation. Once complete, your dependency override request will be reviewed by MIT. Learn more about unusual circumstances and dependency override on our financial aid appeals page.

Did you find this article helpful?

FAFSA Simplification FAQs

See all FAFSA Simplification questions