Skip to content ↓
Update August 17:

To learn more about MIT’s changes to the fall 2020 cost of attendance as well as the Covid-era grant, please see our 2020 financial support page and our expanded FAQ page. You can also read more about the evolving policies and other key questions related to MIT’s COVID-19 response.

Paying your bill: Payment options

We do our best to make it easy for you and your family to pay your bill. We offer a number of different options, including a monthly payment plan for those seeking an alternative to paying in one lump sum.

There are four ways for you to pay your bill:

  • MITPAY (fast, easy, and online)
  • Flywire (domestic and international wire payments)
  • Check
  • Sponsored billing

MIT does not accept cash, credit card, debit card, or direct wire payments for student accounts.


MITPAY is the best way to send electronic payments from a U.S. bank account or international Flywire payments to MIT. It’s secure, paperless, and there’s no additional charge. There are two different ways to access MITPAY:


Flywire is a third-party company partnering with MIT to streamline international payments and domestic wire transfers. With Flywire, you can monitor your payment throughout the transaction process and will receive confirmation once your payment has been sent to MIT.

To access Flywire, log into MITPAY and click the Flywire logo found on the My Account page.


You are also welcome to pay by check. Just remember that all checks must be from a U.S. bank and be payable in U.S. dollars. We accept personal checks, as well as checks from 529 Savings Accounts, employers, or government agencies.

Please include the student’s name and MIT ID number on the check and make it payable to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. When sending your check, please include the billing statement if possible and mail it to the following address:

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 412869
Boston, MA 02241-2869

Scholarship foundation checks

If you have a check from a scholarship foundation, we ask that you send it to our office at the following address: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Student Financial Services, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 11-120, Cambridge, MA 02139-4307.

All checks must be from a U.S. bank and be payable in U.S. dollars. Please include the student’s name and MIT ID number on the check.

Please note: Due to restricted access to campus, we are experiencing delays processing checks that are mailed to our office.

Sponsored billing

Sponsored billing means a qualified third party—such as a U.S. or foreign company, U.S. government department or agency, or a pre-paid college plan—is paying for your tuition and fees. If you are being reimbursed by your employer, this is not considered sponsored billing.

We accept documents through October 1 for the fall term and March 1 for the spring term.

Detailed information for both students and sponsors is available on the sponsored billing page.