Skip to content ↓

Is my family eligible for tax benefits?

You may be eligible to claim federal income tax credits for qualified tuition and related expenses for yourself, dependent child, or other qualified family members.

Form 1098-T is an informational tax document prepared by colleges and universities to report payments of qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and grants that are paid out during the calendar year. We issue the 1098-T form only to degree-seeking students whose scholarships and grants do not exceed qualified tuition and related expenses for the calendar year.

For more information on education tax incentives, including the American Opportunity Tax Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit, we recommend that you consult a qualified tax advisor. You can also refer to for information on tax benefits for education or by calling their help line at 800.829.1040.

Did you find this article helpful?