Skip to content ↓
Please note our updated hours:

Veterans benefits: How to apply for benefits

If you know you are eligible for benefits and have determined which program (or programs) you wish to apply for, please follow these steps for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Montgomery GI Bill, or the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve.

  1. Go to the VA website and apply using their online application.
  2. Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), you will need to submit it to us by mail or fax as soon as it becomes available. VA benefits cannot be certified until the official COE is received by our office.
  3. Submit your Notification of Enrollment for Veteran’s Benefits by mail or fax. We are unable to accept this form via email as it is common for a VA file number to be a Social Security Number.
  4. Complete your required veteran questionnaire. The questionnaire will be sent to your MIT email address before the start of each term.
  5. Receive your CertID from MIT. Once your benefits have been certified for the term, you will receive a confirmation email from us containing your CertID. You will need to keep this for your records.

If your spouse or parent has transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you, you will need to apply for a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE).

When a spouse or dependent is applying for educational benefits, they will need to apply under Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA).