Skip to content ↓

Veterans benefits: Financial support benefits

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

You may be eligible for education benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33).*

If you qualify, you can receive up to 36 months of benefits, including money for tuition and fees, housing, books and supplies, or to help you move from a rural area to attend school.

The specific amount you’ll receive depends on how long you served on active duty since September 10, 2001. The Department of Veterans Affairs will calculate this amount based on a percentage of the maximum benefit.

How it works

Direct to MIT: The VA sends your funding for tuition and other fees directly to MIT, and we apply them to your student account.

Direct to you: Funds for books and housing are sent directly to you each month. You are expected to use that money to pay for your books and housing (on or off campus) during your time at MIT.

Learn more →

*GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about educational benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Yellow Ribbon Program

MIT is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Through Yellow Ribbon, MIT provides provides an annual contribution towards your tuition, above the Post-9/11 GI Bill maximum.

How it works

MIT provides $5,400, per undergraduate, per year, to supplement the Post-9/11 GI Bill base tuition benefit. The VA then matches MIT’s Yellow Ribbon contribution. Students must qualify for 100% of the Post-9/11 GI benefit to receive the Yellow Ribbon supplement.

Learn more →

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

This program can help you pay for education and training programs if you served at least two years on active duty and were honorably discharged.

Learn more →

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

You may qualify for education benefits if you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard.

Learn more →

Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) (Chapter 31)

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, VR&E can help you explore employment options and address education or training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Learn more →

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA) (Chapter 35)

If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training through the DEA program.

Learn more →

Fry Scholarship

If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who died in the line of duty (on or after September 11, 2001) while serving in one of the Armed Forces, or was a member of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability, you may qualify for a Fry Scholarship.

Learn more →

Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

If you’re enrolled in a qualifying undergraduate STEM degree program and you have six months or less of your Post-9/11 GI Bill (or Fry Scholarship) benefits left, you may qualify for this scholarship, which provides up to nine months (or $30,000) of benefits.

Learn more →


Do you have questions? We’re happy to talk through it with you. Contact us at or call us at 617.258.8600.

Compare these programs on the VA website →