Skip to content ↓

For students: Working at MIT

All students, regardless of their financial need, may work during the academic year—and most of our students do. They work on campus in labs, departmental offices and centers, as well as in the community.

MIT students are able to pursue work opportunities that fit their interest areas and align these with their future aspirations. We collaborate with various on-campus offices, including the Office of Experiential Learning (OEL), the Office of Graduate Education (OGE), and Career Advising & Professional Development (CAPD).

Student minimum wage is $15 an hour with most students making about $1,700 a term for 6–8 hours of work a week.

Federal work-study

Per federal regulations, students participating in a federal work-study program are not permitted to miss class time in order to perform their federal work-study duties.

International undergraduate students

Due to student-visa guidelines, international students are limited to working 20 hours per week.

International graduate students

In addition to the 20 hour work limit, international graduate students are not eligible to work at all during any semester (including summer) that they are fully funded.

Visit the jobs board →

Support resources

Eligibility for SNAP benefits

Generally, students enrolled more than half-time are eligible for SNAP if they meet an exemption. Students who meet an exemption must also meet all other SNAP eligibility requirements.

Students who work at least 20 hours a week or participate in a state or Federal Work-Study program may qualify for an exemption. You must still meet the other SNAP eligibility requirements to be eligible for benefits. You may apply for SNAP benefits here.

What you need if you graduate or are no longer working at MIT

Payroll information & tax forms

If you leave MIT or are graduating, The Office of the Vice President of Finance has the information that you need to find your last paystub or your Wage and Tax Statement (W-2) for your last year at MIT.