Skip to content ↓

How do I appeal my financial aid award as a graduate student?

We consider each financial aid application on a case-by-case basis within our general guidelines for awarding need-based financial aid. While we don’t negotiate financial aid or match another school’s offer, we are happy to discuss your particular situation.

If you decide to appeal your award, you should reach out to your financial aid counselor directly. Your counselor will go over your situation with you and may ask for supplemental information. We can’t promise that we will be able to adjust your award, but we encourage you to talk with us as we may be able to recommend a financing strategy that supplements your award.

To provide some guidance, here are some of the most common reasons we may be able to adjust your financial aid award:

  • Significant decrease in current year’s income not reflected in your tax return
  • Receipt of a one-time income source on your previous year’s tax return
  • Unemployment of a spouse
  • A change in the number of family members attending college
  • Unusual or unexpected medical expenses
  • Care for an aging family member
  • Tuition for a child attending a private elementary or secondary school

Did you find this article helpful?