Who Needs Exit Counseling?
You are required to complete counseling if you have an MIT or federal student loan and you:
- fall below half-time enrollment status,
- take a leave of absence or
- withdraw from the Institute.
This is required for Federal Direct, Direct PLUS and Perkins loans as well as MIT Technology loans.
About Exit Counseling
Exit counseling will help you understand what you owe, what your loan repayment rights and responsibilities are, and what your repayment options are. Counseling requirements are filled in a variety of ways depending upon what type of loan you have. See the list below to determine what you need to do.
Steps to Complete the Counseling Requirement
- First you need to complete the Loan Information Sheet (LIS) and send it back to us.
- Once you have submitted the LIS, you will need to complete additional documentation based upon what type of loans you have.
- If you have a Direct Loan with a Direct PLUS Loan you will need to complete the following online counseling and download the Exit Counseling Guide to help you with the online exit.
- If you have a Direct Loan with a Perkins Loan you will need to complete the following online counseling, and sign and return the Perkins loan disclosure statement that we will send to you.
- If you have an MIT Technology Loan you will need to sign and return the loan disclosure statement that we will send to you.
We are Here to Help
If you have questions about loan repayment or exit counseling, contact us at email@example.com.