Information on accessing the financial support available to veterans and their eligible dependents for education benefits.

Detailed information on accessing the financial support available to veterans and their eligible dependents for education benefits under the Chapter 33 Post-9/11, Chapter 35 Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA) and Montgomery GI Bills®. Questions should be directed to Graduate students, see the section on Veterans Benefits for Graduate Students.

Apply for benefits

  • Go to the VA website and apply using VA Form 22-1990, VA Form 22-1990E or VA Form 22-5490.
  • Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA, submit your COE to Student Financial Services (SFS) via fax, mail or email. If you are recently separated from the service, we accept a copy of your DD-214 in the interim.
  • Submit your Notification of Enrollment for Veteran's Benefits to SFS via fax or mail. We are unable to accept this form via email as it common for a VA File Number to be a Social Security Number.
  • You may submit the Notification of Enrollment for Veteran’s Educational Benefits form first and send MIT your COE as soon as it becomes available.
  • The COE and Notification of Enrollment for Veteran’s Educational Benefits only need to be submitted once, unless your degree level or chapter of benefits changes, or there is a significant gap in your enrollment.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to provide the required information regarding enrollment and allowable costs for each academic period they wish for benefits to be certified. Students will receive an email at the start of each term requesting this information.
  • Contact the Certifying Officials at if there are any changes to your enrollment or allowable costs. A reduction in credit hours or net cost may result in a change of eligibility for benefits even after the funds have been disbursed. Students are responsible for paying any MIT charges resulting from a change in enrollment, allowable costs, or VA eligibility.

Other information

  • The VA defines allowable costs as the total cost of tuition, student life, and health insurance (through MIT for the student only) less scholarships specifically for tuition, graduate tuition awards, graduate student life fee awards, graduate health insurance awards, and sponsorships.
  • The VA pays the benefits directly to the student about one to three months after the enrollment  certification. Chapter 33 recipients (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) receive the book and basic allowance for housing (BAH) directly from the VA. The VA sends payment toward tuition and fees directly to MIT. Chapter 35 benefits are paid directly to students.
  • Because your total aid cannot exceed your financial need, VA benefits may affect your eligibility for an MIT undergraduate scholarship.  First the VA benefits reduce the amount of money an MIT scholarship recipient is expected to earn during term time and/or borrow, called self-help.  However, if the VA benefits including the allowances paid directly to the student exceed the self-help, they reduce the MIT undergraduate. Federal financial aid is not affected by the receipt of VA Benefits. If you wish to borrow loans, please visit our loan page for more information.
  • For enrollment certification purposes, 3 MIT units equals 1 VA credit (i.e. 48 MIT units = 16 VA credits). Units are not rounded up so if you are registered for 50 MIT units, you VA credit hours will be 16.6 VA credits.
  • Students studying abroad are not eligible to receive Veteran’s Educational Benefits.
  • Independent Activities Period (IAP)
    • Generally runs for 25 days in January.
    • No tuition is charged but some chapters  May be eligible for BAH.
    • Level of benefit for this period depends on a student's type of VA benefit. Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) beneficiaries must be more than half-time (i.e. 3 VA credits of 9 MIT units). The BAH will be prorated by the percentage of attendance rounded up to the nearest 10% (i.e. 9 credits is 75% which becomes 80%) and then by percentage of entitlement.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at