Looking for a Job

Only currently registered MIT students can access and apply for job listings on our site. To apply to a position you are interested in for term-time work, submit your resume and/or statement of interest directly to the contact listed on the  job board.

Application Assistance

Global Education and Career Development can assist you with your job search, interview skills, or resume and cover letter writing.

As an MIT student you also have access to Skillsoft which offers online courses and quick guides on job searching, business etiquette, financial literacy, and other workforce-related skills.

Once You've Been Hired

Now that you have a job there are a few steps you need to take before you can get paid.

I-9 Forms

Everyone working in the United States, regardless of their citizenship, must complete this federal form on or before their first day of work. This form verifies your eligibility and authorization to work in the U.S. Please complete section 1 of the I-9 form electronically in MIT’s online system.  You have three business days from hire date to present original supporting documentation in person to the Atlas Service Center, located on the first floor of E17. All student workers are required to be E-Verified. You do not need to do anything additional; the verification is taken care of when you submit your I-9 form. Visit the HR website for more information.

You will need to complete an I-9 only once while you are working here, although you may have to re-verify your employment authorization if you are an international student.

Payroll Taxes

To specify how much income tax will be withheld from your paycheck (or to ask that no taxes be withheld), you must fill out online federal and state tax withholding forms: the W4 Federal and M4 MA State forms. To do this, log onto Atlas and click on About Me and the "Money Matters" tab. If you claim no withholding, you still need to complete a W4 form each February.

Registered students are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes when classes are in session. During summer months, undergraduate students will have Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from their paychecks.

By the end of January, MIT will send you a W2 form detailing the amount of taxes and any other money that was withheld during the previous calendar year. Active students can access the W2 online via Atlas/About Me/Money Matters/eWs. You will need this form to complete your tax return. If for any reason you cannot access the eW2, contact the HR Payroll Service Center (payroll@mit.edu, NE49-4097) and provide your name and MIT ID.

Direct Deposit for Employment

MIT pays student workers by direct deposit. Paychecks are deposited electronically in a bank account a student designates by completing the online "Direct Deposit Preferences" for Payroll via Atlas (https://atlas.mit.edu) on the About Me tab in the Money Matters section.

Employment Permit for Minors

All minors under the age of 18 must complete an Employment Permit Application and obtain the permit before starting a new job. For minors who are residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, permits are issued by the superintendent of schools for the municipality in which the minor lives or attends school - either is acceptable. If the minor resides outside the Commonwealth, the permit is issued by the superintendent for the municipality where the minor's job will be located. Please contact the Student Employment Office at seo-www@mit.edu for additional instructions.

Time Cards for On-Campus Jobs

Students working on-campus fill out time cards electronically and then submit them for approval. You may fill out your time card by logging onto Atlas and clicking on “Time and Vacation Entry.” Check with your supervisor for the deadline for entering your time. Once your time has been successfully entered and approved, your pay for that week will be deposited into your bank account on the following Friday. Because there is some setup time required to get you into the system initially, your first paycheck may be delayed a week.

If you have not received the payment you were expecting, contact Payroll.

Employment for International Students

If you are an international student, your student visa restricts you to on-campus employment at no more than 20 hours/week during the term and no more than 40 hours/week during vacation periods, including summer and IAP (these limits include graduate assistantships and other hourly appointments).

Before the start of employment, make sure to complete the I-9, tax forms and direct deposit forms. In addition, you must obtain a Social Security Number that will be used to file a U.S. income tax return. Please contact the International Student Office for details on obtaining a Social Security card.

Sick Time Accrual

The Massachusetts Sick Leave Law, requires employees to accrue 1 hour of paid sick time for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 40 hours. Employees are eligible to use accrued sick time (known as “vesting”) 90 days after starting work.  Unused amounts carry over year to year though always subject to cap of 40 hours. Only undergraduate students are eligible to accrue and use sick time for work done in the summer.

The MIT policy on this earned sick time can be found in the Personnel Policy Manual at Section 4.3.22.